The Obici Healthcare Foundation is pleased to announce over $1.1M in funding to support nonprofit partners for the Imagine, Innovate, and Leverage Grant Fund Program.
In June 2021, the Foundation released the Imagine, Innovate, and Leverage Grant Fund Program opportunity to engage nonprofit organizations seeking multi-year support for programmatic expansion or capital investment projects.
Thomas Woodward, Board President of Obici Healthcare Foundation, shared, “The Foundation’s Imagine, Innovate, and Leverage grant awardees showcase how nonprofits serving Western Tidewater and Gates County, North Carolina, continue to creatively respond to the health and wellness needs of our residents. The Foundation is proud to continue to invest in these partnerships.”
The following organizations have been awarded grant funding:
- Children’s Health Investment Program of South Hampton Roads ($241,842) – also known as CHIP SHR, provides services for children through age six and expectant mothers in the focus areas of health improvement, school readiness, and self-sufficiency. Funding received will expand the organization’s Home Visiting Program to serve families in Western Tidewater. CHIP SHR, in partnership with Sentara Obici Hospital, will also provide Moms Matter, a program that supports prenatal and postpartum women with high blood pressure and diabetes.
- Community Harvest Outreach ($25,000) – focuses on providing Western Tidewater community members access to essential resources that positively impact quality-of-life outcomes. Funding received will help expand the organization’s comprehensive workforce development program—The Top Ten Educational Program.
- Nursing CAP, Inc. ($34,500) – provides mentoring, tutoring, and comprehensive development programs to minority and first-generation students pursuing careers in nursing, science, technology, engineering, and healthcare. Nursing CAP, Inc. will partner with Blakey Weaver Counseling Center to develop and establish a new Mental Health Support Network for students within its programs.
- Tidewater Friends of Foster Care, Inc. ($75,000) – provides wraparound youth development support services to children and families receiving foster care services. The organization will leverage funds to expand their community outreach programs and services into Western Tidewater, recruit and train foster parents and foster youth supporters, connect foster youth to enrichment opportunities, and enhance overall community participation for a stronger foster care support network.
- Virginia Legal Aid Society, Inc. ($250,000) – provides free legal representation, advice, education, and outreach to Western Tidewater residents seeking access to more resources. Funding will help the organization’s expansion to serve more residents and support the purchase and renovation of a new building.
- Walk In It, Inc. ($60,000) – provides programs that encourage, empower, and equip young ladies and women to be holistically healthy. Walk In It, Inc. will deploy grant funds to develop a full-access app and implement its newest, year-round program Operation Break Thru.
- Western Tidewater Free Clinic ($500,000) – provides high-quality, non-emergency health care to Western Tidewater residents who cannot otherwise afford medical, dental, or mental health care. Funding will support building renovations that will expand the organization’s dental clinic.
About the Obici Healthcare Foundation: The Obici Healthcare Foundation is a private foundation established in 2006 from the sale of Louise Obici Memorial Hospital to Sentara Healthcare. Since its inception the Foundation has awarded over $62 million in grant funding.